Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows

I've seen beautiful, fluffy, cubed marshmallows at specialty food stores before, but never thought I would be able to make them myself. When I agreed to bring the s'more fixings on our weekend camping trip, I figured this was as good a time as any to give 'em a try (and bring some Jet Puffed as backups). I scanned my go-to recipe sites for the least daunting one and found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen. I followed her step-by-step instructions and was surprised to find myself breezing through it. I was happy with the final product, which toasted perfectly over our campfire and drew rave reviews.

The only step missing from the instructions seemed like a crucial one ... when turning the chilled marshmallow sheet onto the cutting board, be sure to dust either the top of the mallow or the cutting board with confectioners sugar before plopping it down. Once that mallow (with a consistency of taffy) hits the board, it won't budge, and thus makes for quite a work out when scraping them off.


marshmallow recipe

Chicago style

marshmallow recipe

marshmallow recipe

marshmallow recipe

marshmallow recipe

marshmallow recipe

As an added bonus to my marshmallow success, I recently came across this sea salt caramel hot cocoa at Target! I whipped up a mug, and I must say, it's a match made in marshmallow heaven! 

No comments:

Post a Comment