Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Step Back

Birkenstock Sandals

Trends always come and go – I wore bell bottoms back in the late 90s, then again when I bought this pair. I wore crochet tops in middle school, and now love pairing a pretty white one with slim jeans. Even pointy heels left for a few years while the round toe pump had it's hey day. But there's one trend I'm not sure I'll be revisiting ... the Birkenstock sandal. I wore these in my hippie days while my friend and I listened to Janis and burned our glowing candles and frankly, I kinda want to keep them there. Sure they are comfortable, but there's nothing feminine about the shape, and they toe the line between clunky and therapeutic. 

So while every designer seems to be coming out with one of these designs, my throwback shoe of choice this summer will be my Dr. Scholl's ... but if you're on board, go for it! Below are just a handful of the Birkenstock-inspired sandals out there ...

Birkenstock Sandals
clockwise from top left: Givenchy, Proezna Schouler, Marni, Prada, Vince, Michael Kors, Isabel Marant, Zara

2 comments:

  1. I was too poor for Birks when they were popular, so it's so tempting to get a pair now. However, I think I would get the thong ones that are a little bit more feminine, rather than the two strap style above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than never, right. I agree, the thong style is more flattering, go for it!

    ReplyDelete